Georg Cuntor breaks the number line!
John Gabriel
2015-09-12 06:42:38 UTC
Part 1: Cantor breaks the number line!
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-756.html#post39917

Part 2: Cantor produces first major fallacy!
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-756.html#post39918

Part 3: Cantor gives every point a NAME!
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-756.html#post39919

Part 4: Cantor discovers EQUAL infinities!
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-757.html#post39938

Part 5: God reveals the transfinite numbers to Cantor!
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-757.html#post39939

Epilogue - Cantor's delusions:
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-757.html#post39940
Dan Christensen
2015-09-12 14:01:40 UTC
Part 1...
What you should know about the Psycho Troll John Gabriel, in his own words:

JG's God Complex:

"I am the Creator of this galaxy."
-- March 19, 2015

"I am the last word on everything."
-- May 6, 2015

"Whatever I imagine is real because whatever I imagine is well defined."
-- March 26, 2015

"Unless I think it's logic, it's not... There are no rules in mathematics... As I have repeatedly stated, if there were to be rules, I'd be making the rules."
-- March 17, 2015

JG's Final Solution:

"Hitler was a genius and a very talented artist... As from a moral point of view, again his actions can't be judged, because his morals are different." (Like JG's morals?)
-- March 18, 2015

"I will point out a few facts about Hitler that most of you arrogant idiots didn't know or refused to acknowledge because your Jewish overlords do not allow you...

"Unfortunately, Hitler's henchmen got the wrong Jews...

(Note: When repeatedly asked if they should have gotten Jews like Albert Einstein, JG has refused to comment. You figure it out, folks.)

"It would be a very good idea to round up all the academic idiots, gas them and incinerate the useless lot. Only those that pass John Gabriel's exam should be allowed to live."
-- July 13, 2014

"All those who don't accept New Calculus, you better say goodbye to your kids... Because John Gabriel is coming." (Charming fellow.)
-- July 9, 2014

JG's Just Plain Stupid:

"1/0 is not undefined."
-- May 19, 2015

"1/3 does NOT mean 1 divided by 3 and never has meant that"
-- February 8, 2015

"The square root of 2 and pi are NOT numbers."
-- May 28, 2015

"By definition, a line is the distance between two points."
-- April 13, 2015

"So, 'is a member of' = 'is a subset of.'"
-- May 16, 2015

"There is no such thing as a continuous real number line."
-- March 24, 2015

"Indeed, there is no such thing as an instantaneous speed -- certainly not with respect to the calculus." (Note: Instantaneous speed is indicated by the speedometer in a car. Another Jewish conspiracy, JG?)
-- March 17, 2015

"Proofs had nothing to do with calculus."
-- May 30, 2015

In his wacky system, JG cannot even prove that 2+2=4. It seems unlikely he would have anything worthwhile to say about mathematics. On the contrary, it seems he is deliberately trying to mislead and confuse any newcomers here.

A special word of caution to students: Do not attempt to use JG's "system" in any course work in any high school, college or university on the planet. You will fail miserably. His system is certainly no "shortcut" to success in mathematics. It is truly a dead-end.

Dan

Archimedes Plutonium
2015-09-13 10:15:44 UTC
Dan asks if G. Polya is qualified to teach Calculus
I don't usually engage the trolls directly. I compile lists of their typical rantings and post them as a warning to others who may be taken in, wasting their valuable time or worse. I don't usually post more than one such warning per thread.
#26#

G. Polya

--- quoting HOW TO SOLVE IT, G. Polya, Princeton Univ. Press,
pages 166-167 ---

3. Indirect proof. The prime numbers, or primes, are the numbers
2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29,31,37,... which cannot be resolved into
smaller factors, although they are greater than 1. (The last clause
excludes the number 1 which, obviously, cannot be resolved into
smaller factors, but has a different nature and should not be
counted as a prime.) The primes are the "ultimate elements" into
which all integers (greater than 1) can be decomposed. For instance,
630 = 2x3x3x5x7 is decomposed into a product of five primes.
Is the series of primes infinite or does it end somewhere? It is
natural to suspect that the series of primes never ends. If it ended
somewhere, all integers could be decomposed into a finite number of
ultimate elements and the world would appear "too poor" in a manner
of speaking. Thus arises the problem of proving the existence of an
infinity of prime numbers.
This problem is very different from elementary mathematical
problems of the usual kind and appears at first inaccessible. Yet,
as we said, it is extremely unlikely that there would be a last
prime, say P. Why is it so unlikely?
Let us face squarely the unlikely situation in which,
hypothetically, supposedly, allegedly, there is a last prime P. Then
we could write down the complete series of primes 2,3,5,7,11, . . .P.
Why is this so unlikely? What is wrong with it? Can we point out
anything that is definitely wrong? Indeed, we can. We can construct
the number Q = (2x3x5x7x11x...xP) +1. This number Q is greater than
P and therefore, allegedly, Q cannot be a prime. Consequently, Q
must be divisible by a prime. Now, all primes at our disposal are,
supposedly, the numbers 2,3,5,...P but Q, divided by any of these
numbers, leaves the rest 1; and so Q is not divisible by any of the
primes mentioned which are hypothetically, all the primes. Now, there
is something that is definitely wrong; Q must be either a prime or it
must be divisible by some prime. Starting from the supposition that
there is a last prime P we have been led to a manifest absurdity.
How can we explain this? Our original supposition must be wrong;
there cannot be a last prime P. And so we have succeeded in proving
that the series of prime numbers never ends.
Our proof is a typical indirect proof. (It is a famous proof too,
due to Euclid; see Proposition 20 of Book IX of the Elements.)
We have established our theorem (that the series of primes never
ends) by disproving its contradictory opposite (that the series of
primes ends somewhere) which we have disproved by deducing from it
a manifest absurdity. Thus we have combined indirect proof with
"reductio ad absurdum"; this combination is also very typical."

--- end quoting HOW TO SOLVE IT, G. Polya, Princeton Univ. Press ---

Apparently in the 20th century there was no clear precision definition
of series versus sequence, for we see both Polya and G.H.Hardy
and some others using the term "series" when it at best is described
as a sequence of primes. And later on in this book of Correcting Math, a precision
definition
of Series versus Sequence is given which is very important for the
Riemann Hypothesis
in that it is a pseudo hypothesis since it never precision defined
Series as it relates
to the Euler encoding and the Riemann zeta function.

Precision mathematics is not a hallmark or cornerstone of 20th century
mathematics
and just as the world experienced hippie-ism and laissez faire
attitudes and
marijuana smoking, one can say that much if not most of 20th century
mathematics
itself was "marijuana-mathematics" with all its ill-defined notions
passing off as math, worst being infinity.

Polya makes the usual 3 mistakes, although Polya, half-heartedly defines prime first off, but seems to have forgotten his definition of prime by the time he reaches his "multiply the lot and add 1".

First, Polya thought Euclid gave a
indirect proof but in actuality, Euclid gave a direct proof of
IP by increasing set cardinality. Secondly, Polya did not realize the
pure clarity and absoluteness of Logic that once "multiply the lot and
add 1" is formed it
must be necessarily the new prime that discharges the initial
assumption
and leads to the contradiction. Polya sort of like Paulos and Peterson
juggle with
Euclid's number when formed, and juggle because they never had their
first step
as the definition of prime which would have pinpointed Euclid's number
as necessarily
a new prime, and second mistake, instead of understanding this "multiply the lot and add 1" as necessarily a new prime, Polya goes on to make a prime factor search.

And thirdly, if Polya had been required by the new
standard that you must provide both a Direct alongside an Indirect
Method proof of Euclid IP, it is likely that Polya would have
delivered a mistake-free proof. But such was the ill-defining of
mathematics
of the 20th century, the sort of hippie mathematics that was so
prevalent, but
can anyone blame them considering they were under the awful threat of
nuclear
war in the Cold War, or the malaise of the Vietnam war, so you may as well have much ill-defining,
even
mathematics.

Let me discuss something that Polya brilliantly mentions in his above.
I want to complain about something which I have not complained
enough about. Why is it that so many authors are so irritatingly
worried about the number 1 in Euclid's IP, as if some obsessive
compulsion disorder. Probably because Euclid was worried about
1 in his proof for he mentions 1 often. If Euclid mentions "1" in his
proof, it is probably because his proof is Ancient, and not because
it is any key element of the proving
technique.  But in modern day times
whenever a person attempting Euclid IP Indirect that mentions
1 unit as having any significance in the proof is a logic-misfit. And
this
is added reason that Symbolic Logic should be a prerequisite course
for
anyone wanting to major in mathematics, so that they fully understand
what is needed and not needed in a proof of mathematics.
Polya does mention 1 unit, but to his credit points out why
it is logically-wacko to worry about 1 unit in Euclid's IP indirect.
When Polya mentions the prime series in this sentence:
"primes, are the numbers
2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29,31,37,... which cannot be resolved into
smaller factors, although they are greater than 1. (The last clause
excludes the number 1 which, obviously, cannot be resolved into
smaller factors"
Or when Hardy mentions the prime sequence (not series) 2,3,5,7,..
Then no-one cares anymore about 1 or 1 unit as being involved in
the proof itself that a mentioning of the sequence eliminates the 1
unit.
But try telling that to those in mathematics that never took a
Symbolic
Logic course, who get fixated on some
irrelevant thing and then making themselves a perpetual pest over the
issue.
Proofs in mathematics do not require us listing all the facts and
information of things gone before. And novices of mathematics
often commit this error. That a proof of
mathematics should be deplete of irrelevancies. One irrelevancy of
Euclid IP is the fact of "1". Another irrelevancy in Euclid IP is the
fact of what is composite. Novices of Euclid IP often dwell on "1" and
on
"composite". When doing a mathematics proof we do not need to
throw in all of mathematical knowledge that has come before. We
only have to throw in the bare essentials of the proof. And a strict
course
in Symbolic Logic would teach many want-to-be mathematician what a
proof
needs and does not need.

Direct method---
 Definition of prime. Given any finite set of primes we can augment
 that set with one more new prime and thus since
 we augment *any finite set* means it is infinite. Given a
set of finite primes we
multiply the lot and add 1, call it W+1. Either W+1 is prime or W+1 has a prime factor not
 in the original finite set because W+1 is not
divisible by any of those finite listed primes. QED

Indirect method---
 Definition of prime. Suppose set of all primes is finite with P_k its
last and largest prime. Multiply the lot and add 1, call it W+1. This
new number W+1 is necessarily prime
because of the definition-of-prime.
 Contradiction since W+1 is larger than P_k. Hence set of
 all primes is infinite. QED

AP1990s Survey
AP1990s Survey
Many of AP's postings can be safely ignored as well. But once he starts peddling his mathematical snake oil promising an "easier way" for students to do calculus, for example, I think they really ought to be warned about him.
Yeah, I probably have too much time on my hand and should get out more. Sigh...
Dan
Dan seems to have lost sight that sci.math is about math, not about hatred of people and plastering hate-sheets all over the place, but when a person is insane, insanity is where "no reasoning can enter" and only repetitive hate sheets. Even if a poster like John Gabriel is wrong in everything he says about calculus, at least the reader deserves to judge for himself/herself, and not have a lunatic predator like Dan Christensen stigmatizing and branding other people.

AP
Dan Christensen
2015-09-13 11:41:46 UTC
Dan asks...
When he's not lying like this, AP is spewing nonsense such as:

"0 is an infinite irrational number."
-- Archimedes Plutonium, June 28, 2015
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.math/V3KCSKuls0Y

"0 appears to be the last and largest finite number"
-- Archimedes Plutonium, sci.math, June 9, 2015

Link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/sci.math/$20AP$20axioms$20of$20Numbers$20versus$20Peano-Dedekind/sci.math/SRq9-cHtTY0

"0/0 must be equal to 1."
-- Archimedes Plutonium, sci.math, June 9, 2015

Link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sci.math/%220$2F0$20must$20be$20equal$20to$201%22%7Csort:date/sci.math/U6x4PEojzhs/BzlroMhJnNgJ

"The last and largest finite number is 10^604."
-- Archimedes Plutonium, sci.math, June 3, 2015

Link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/sci.math/largest$20AND$20authorname$3A%22Archimedes$20Plutonium%22$20AND$20before$3A2015$2F06$2F07/sci.math/9ZlZKMFEt-Q

AP is perhaps the most famous math crank on the internet. The insanity goes way back. In his heyday some decades ago, he wrote...

"The totality, everything that there is [the universe], is only 1 atom of plutonium. There is nothing outside or beyond this one atom of plutonium."
-- Ludwig (aka Archimedes) Plutonium, sci.math, April 4, 1994

Link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/sci.math/faq$20and$20atom$20AND$20universe$20AND$20before$3A1996$2F01$2F01/sci.math/lIIVtZjeGhk

A word of caution to students: Do not attempt to use AP's "system" in any course work in any high school, college or university on the planet. You will fail miserably. His goofy system is certainly no "shortcut" to success in mathematics. On the contrary, it is a dead end and would be a complete waste of your time.

Dan

Archimedes Plutonium
2015-09-15 05:03:55 UTC
Dan asks if John H. Conway and Richard K. Guy are qualified to teach Calculus

         ,,,
       ($ $)
-ooO-(_)-Ooo-
unknown

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 6:41:57 AM UTC-5, Dan Christensen wrote:
(Dan is trying for a new world record of plastering a million repetitive hate sheets on someone)
I don't usually engage the trolls directly. I compile lists of their typical rantings and post them as a warning to others who may be taken in, wasting their valuable time or worse. I don't usually post more than one such warning per thread.
 --- quoting THE BOOK OF NUMBERS John H. Conway and Richard K. Guy, Springer-Verlag, 1996, pages 133-135 ---

There Are Always New Primes!
It's not obvious that the sequence of primes continues indefinitely.
There might come a stage, perhaps, when the sieving process stops
because all the numbers have been struck out. However, Euclid also
proved that the primes do indeed continue forever.
Imagine that all the primes you know are
       2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13.
Then we'll show that there must be another one. Multiply your
primes together and add 1 to get the larger number
      2x3x5x7x11x13 + 1 = 30031.
This number is certainly bigger than 1. What is the smallest number,
bigger than 1, that divides it exactly? This must be a prime,
otherwise one of its factors would be a smaller candidate. But it
can't be one of the old primes 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, or 13, since
each of these leaves remainder 1 when divided into 30031. So
we've found a new prime.
Sometimes the big number here is already prime, but sometimes,
as in the previous example, it isn't:
  1 + 1 = 2 is prime
  2 + 1 = 3 is prime
  2x3 + 1 = 7 is prime
  2x3x5 + 1 = 31 is prime
  2x3x5x7 + 1 = 211 is prime
  2x3x5x7x11 + 1 = 2311 is prime
but
2x3x5x7x11x13 + 1 = 30031 = 59x509
and
  2x3x5x7x11x13x17 + 1 = 510511 = 19x97x277,
while
2x3x5x7x11x13x17x19 + 1 = 9699691 = 347x27953.
The next few prime numbers of the form 2x3x5x...xp + 1 are for p =
31, 379, 1019, 1021, and 2657.
Although we've known since Euclid that the primes get as large
as you like, it was quite a long time before mathematicians could
explicitly point to some very big ones.

--- end quoting THE BOOK OF NUMBERS John H. Conway and Richard K. Guy,
Springer-Verlag, 1996, pages 133-135 ---

Conway and Guy have a mixed up version of both direct and indirect.
Trouble is that Conway and Guy are more wrapped up in showing number
examples then in actually giving a proof. Do they mean by "Imagine" as
a substitute for "Suppose" as in a reductio ad absurdum? But if they
did mean a
indirect method proof then their 30031 is necessarily a new prime
under the reductio ad absurdum. So theirs is a mixed up proof that
ends as invalid.

What they are trying to say is that given any finite
set of primes can always be augmented with a new prime which is
set theory cardinality increase. So if they started their proof above
by saying "Given any finite set of primes, a new prime can be found to
augment that set which proves primes are infinite." Rather than start
with a
reductio ad absurdum clause of "Imagine that all the primes you know
are 2, 3,
5, 7, 11, 13."
So I think Conway and Guy imagined Euclid's IP as Indirect method by
starting off with what they started off with, supported by the fact that 30031 is not prime and a worrisome fact if Conway and Guy are doing an Indirect and not knowing the logic of indirect method. In a Direct method, they needed no focus upon 30031, unless theirs was a Indirect Method for which they did not understand how to prove the statement.

Here is another example of where two authors, if they had provided
both a
direct and indirect proof of Euclid IP, they perhaps would not have
run into trouble and had a clear and valid result, not only to the
readers but
to themselves. The word obfuscation comes to mind for the above
attempt.
So let me harp on that commonsense approach that everyone doing a
Euclid
Infinitude of Primes proof should adopt. To supply two proofs, both
the Direct
method and Indirect method, so that the methods guides the authors and
are
less likely to make mistakes and errors.

Here are my abbreviated renditions simultaneously:

Direct method---
 Definition of prime. Given any finite set of primes we can augment
 that set with one more new prime and thus since
 we augment *any finite set* means it is infinite. Given a
set of finite primes we
multiply the lot and add 1, call it W+1. Either W+1 is prime or W+1 has a prime factor not
 in the original finite set because W+1 is not
divisible by any of those finite listed primes. QED

Indirect method---
 Definition of prime. Suppose set of all primes is finite with P_k its
last and largest prime. Multiply the lot and add 1, call it W+1. This
new number W+1 is necessarily prime
because of the definition-of-prime.
 Contradiction since W+1 is larger than P_k. Hence set of
 all primes is infinite. QED

And finally, let me comment that if Conway had spent more time on Logic and doing Euclid Infinitude of Primes proof with simultaneous direct and indirect, he may have seen the valid Indirect leads to a proof of Infinitude of Twin Primes, and so could have made history by proving infinitude of twin primes instead of AP. And also, a proof of Infinitude of Twin Primes for Conway would have been a far vastly more benefit to mathematics than the fakery silly "surreal numbers" that Conway plastered into mathematics. Math never needs fake concepts like "surreals", but math always can use someone with logic to clean up the existing math.

AP1990s Survey
Many of AP's postings can be safely ignored as well. But once he starts peddling his mathematical snake oil promising an "easier way" for students to do calculus, for example, I think they really ought to be warned about him.
Yeah, I probably have too much time on my hand and should get out more. Sigh...
Dan
Dan seems to have lost sight that sci.math is about math, not about hatred of people and plastering hate-sheets all over the place, but when a person is insane, insanity is where "no reasoning can enter" and only repetitive hate sheets.
Download my DC Proof 2.0  snip the ad crap of a scatterbrain
Visit my Math Blog at http://w  snip the ad crap of a scatterbrain
Dan wants no changes in the small world he lives in, so that he wants you to accept a Calculus with an Integral as the area of a line segment, as if a line segment has area.

Someone stupid in math, never wants any math to be changed or corrected or fixed.

In my opinion, Dan is no better than the oil companies trying to persuade people that Global Warming is not real. Why do they do that-- because of the money involved. Or, Dan is no better than those that want to remove Darwin Evolution from school, and have you buy their Creation books and downloads.

Students and readers-- put Dan in your filter or block for he is one of the worst failures of math, that math produces and ranks amoung those of John Gabriel and Pentcho Valev, all three should be Google "hidden for abuse".

AP